jueves, abril 19, 2007

Who Cares?


Hey,

Today, I spent the entire day on a tour of San Pablo Avenue with 25 youth - 9th and 10th graders - from Emery Secondary School. The students are working to redesign part of the avenue, which runs thru 9 cities, this semester. This summer, I'll be working with youth from a different city (Richmond) to write and teach another program with the same goal, different place. I am also evaluating the youth engagement component of the development process for the Assemblywoman Loni Hancock.

Today, students were fired up. They came to UC Berkeley to meet with the famous Walter Hood (who designed the DeYoung Museum) and learn about how to get into college. They asked tons of questions, made deep comments and were truly thinking. They have no faith that anyone will help them implement any of their ideas for this project. Describing why it's still important to work towards the goal, even though it might be far off and difficult to attain, I realized why I am working in this field. Because there is no end in sight.

One of the students, Stephanie, is particularly passionate. Covering her mouth the entire time she spoke, she was wondering why we even met with Walter Hood ("What's he gonna do for US?!") and who was really going to help them with their work. When we got back to school, she decided that she's quitting the program. Even though she can't quit (this is social studies class, after all), I was so disheartened that she wouldn't participate in making the final presentation for City Hall. She was mad, and she quit. She didn't persevere and express her ideas for all to see.

Even though Stephanie threatened to kick my director's ass if she ever saw her again, I really want this girl to engage in the expression of her vision. BUT HOW? How do I convince her that people care? Obviously, no one has made her feel that way in a while. Tomorrow, in class, I'm going to take her on a walk for a little chat. I hope that I come back with some insight after that.

Love to all. Make a difference, each day. It will make you feel fuller.
A

No hay comentarios.: