Today, I presented case studies and existing conditions for a site that we are redesigning in my studio this semester. I presented to two representatives from the City of Oakland, our clients in the project. In our discussion after the presentations, the planners wanted to know why we picked only case studies that adaptively re-used older buildings (instead of knocking them down), why we were so concerned with this avenue being for use by all people, not just the wealthy regional folks who will drive in to buy something at Crate & Barrel. They threw around the term 'eminent domain' and 'blight' as if it were a game for their playing. They questioned our desire for affordable housing.
Today, I realized that I know nothing about city planning. I know only what I wish were true...that city planners are just like me, and they make decisions to benefit all people they represent. Gosh, I have so much to learn.
This is a picture of traffic rushing underneath the 580 overpass. Broadway, Auto Row, Oakland.
xo
Lis
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario